What Do Fans Think Of Your Website? 76% Say Make It Easier
This guest post comes from Michael Brandvold (@michaelsb), a 20 year music & online marketing veteran who has worked with unsigned bands and superstars like KISS and Britney Spears. His Michael Brandvold Marketing provides consulting services to musicians.
What do users think is the most important part of a website design? Flash? Beautiful design? Cutting edge? Nope, nope and nope! Users want a design that makes it easy for them to find what they want. Hubspot.com recently did a survey and the results below say a lot! Be sure to read all the Do's and Don’t s listed below:
76% of consumers say the most important factor in a website’s design is “the website makes it easy for me to find what I want.”
What does this mean for marketers?
- Don’t obsess over the visual design of your website
- Do obsess over the usability by your customers and prospects
- Don’t worry if you or others your website design does not look pretty
- Do worry about the conversion rate of your website (Are people finding what they need and completing their tasks?)
- Don’t use flash, heavy graphics, or tons of video
- Do use these things if it helps your customers get what they want from your website
- Don’t reinvent the wheel when it comes to design and layout
- Do use a basic layout that will be familiar to your customers
- Don’t differentiate with the design/functionality of your website
- Do differentiate your band or company by making it really easy for your customers to find what they want on your website
- Test, test, test! The only thing that matters is what your customers do on your website. Sit down with a potential customer, and watch them use your website. See if they can figure out how to get what they want; see if they can easily do the tasks you want your consumers to do. (e.g. “Show me how you would register for our free demo.”)
via What Do 76% of Consumers Want From Your Website? [New Data].
Be sure to check out our ongoing project with Michael Breandvol, The 2000 Things To Generate 20,000 Fans Challenge, and get invloved.