Susan Boyle Grabs Amazon’s Biggest Ever Pre-Sale
The usually press shy Amazon made a rare announcement yesterday: internet and TV sensation Susan Boyle’s upcoming album, “I Dreamed a Dream,” has become the largest global CD pre-order in the history of the online retailer. Per usual, however, the number of units Boyle sold to reach #1 prior to her November 23rd release was not part of the announcement.
Boyle proves that adults will still pay for music; and whatever the number, it was big enough to leave Amazon's head of music almost giddy. “We were excited when Susan Boyle’s album became the top CD pre-order in the U.S. We’re absolutely ecstatic now that the album has become our largest global CD pre-order,” said Craig Pape, senior manager of Music at Amazon.com. “Looking at the rest of our global Top 5, you see titles that resonated in their local markets. Susan’s album is clearly capturing the hearts of our customers around the globe.”
Amazon also released a list of the Top 5 CD pre-orders of all time for Amazon, along with their top-selling country:
1. Susan Boyle, “I Dreamed a Dream” (2009), U.S.
2. Mr. Children, “Supermarket Fantasy” (2008), Japan
3. Ken Hirai, “Ken Hirai 10th Anniversary Complete Single Collection, ‘95-‘05” (2005), Japan
4. Norah Jones, “Not Too Late” (2007), U.S.
5. Take That, “Never Forget: The Ultimate Collection” (2008), U.K.