News Brief: Spotify, Rdio + Verizon, Isquith Joins Slacker, 7Digital Android, #1 Music App Pulled & More
- Spotify is taking on iTunes with some big changes. (full story and video). Forrester's Mark Mulligan asks: Does Spotify Really Want To Be An iTunes Killer?
- Music streamer Rdio is now available on Verizon's massive network as a V CAST App with direct carrier billing for Android devices.
- Jack Isquith, a former Warner Brothers Records and AOL Music exec, has joined Slacker Radio as Senior VP of Strategic Development.
- 7Digital has upgraded its Android app to include a download store, player and cloud music locker.
- Apple pulled its most popular paid apps Any Music Downloader yesterday presumably concerned that the $2 app could lead to illegal downloading
- Leader of U.S. Music Piracy Group Faces 5 Year Jail Sentence. (Torrentfreak)
- Concerts cut ticket prices and add star power - Promoters are anxious to avert an encore of last year, when concerts' gross receipts fell 7.6% and notable acts such as the Jonas Brothers and Lilith Fair canceled shows because of weak ticket sales. (LA Times)