More Music Industry News: FreeAllMusic Rumor, Net Neutrality, Executive Shifts & More
I'm preparing to leave for MIDEM next week. Part of the advance work involves putting together my presentation on the monetization of music and I'm still looking for interesting ideas and graphics. (Help!) Also, watch this blog for details of the 2nd annual Topspin Hypebot meetup on Monday night Jan. 25 in Cannes.
- RUMOR MILL: Ad-supported download site FreeAll Music which yesterday announced that it had has signed up Universal has completed a deal with a second major and will announce it in the next 7-10 days
- Are things getting better? The 24th edition of EuroSonic Noorderslag music conference and showcase in Groningen has completely sold out.
- R.E.M.: Everybody Hurts (without network neutrality) - Musicians weigh in on network neutrality, arguing that an open Internet is crucial to their success. Ars uses the opportunity to indulge in some fun R.E.M.-related punning. (ars)
- Omnifone and Gracenote team up on cloud-based music solutions. - Embedded music services due to more devices in 2010. (Pocket-lint)
- RealNetworks’ COO John Giamatteo quietly resigns. (paidContent)
- Sony Music Entertainment has promoted Gil Aronow to EVP of Business and Legal Affairs for its Commercial Music Group.
- Are Web Ads Only for Oldsters? Yahoo’s Disturbing Study. (Media Memo)
- What music company's will be bought in 2010? (Music Ally) Interesting question. Who do you think is ripe for the picking?