More Music Industry News: AOL Seeks Music Chief, Foreign Royalties, HMV Digital, Azoff, Jagger & More
- AOL Inc. is on the hunt for a person to run its music business, helping Chief Executive Officer Tim Armstrong reverse sales declines at the Internet company spun off from Time Warner Inc. last year. (Bloomberg)
- Music's foreign royalties bring welcome windfall. - Checks for overseas Internet, satellite play are new income source. (Tennessean)
- UK retail giant HMV launches a digital music store... finally. (Tech Watch) The draw is lower prices for Top 40 tracks.
- "Is Indie Dead?" - Paste Magazine chatted with Rich Bengloff, President of A2IM who says that "the concept of independence still has currency - and perhaps more meaning than ever." (Paste)
- Live Nation's Azoff goes on the defensive, again. Revenue is down, the music business is a mess and the scalpers just won't let up. (Fortune)
- Live Nation will release second quarter 2010 financial results after market hours on Thursday, August 5th at 5:00 PM ET. To access the teleconference: 888-603-6873 (U.S.) or 973-321-1019 (Int’l) and reference passcode 89305432. It's also available via live webcast @ www.livenation.com/investors.
- Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger have teamed up again to develop a "rock 'n' roll drama" for US network HBO. The project, titled A History of Music, is set to be an epic tale of two friends and their 40 years in the music industry together, from early R&B to contemporary hip-hop. (NME)
- Groupon Used to Premiere Indie Documentary Film. (Mashable) Why not do this with concert tickets?
- On MP3s, set the Artist_Name field to the URL of your website. (Bruce Warila)
- Pandora adds In-Advertising Facebook Liking. (Damien Basile)
- Is Pandora a Sirius threat? (Motley Fool)
- MajorLabelScout.com, a talent-scouting network is looking for young tastemakers who are passionate about mainstream music. The organization is currently accepting Scout applications. Apply here.
- Personalized online radio firm Mediazoic attracts major Canadian media investor.