As Twitter Turns 5, Five Ways It’s Changed Music
On Sunday, Twitter co-counder Jack Doresy tweeted, "5 yrs ago today, the eve of launching twttr to the company. Moving from @Biz, @florian & me, to all of our peers using it. Nervous. #twttr". It took 38 months for Twitter to hit 1 billion tweets. Now the site averages 140 million tweets every day. But how has Twitter changed music and the artist - fan realtionship?
1. Artists can communicate with fans instantly from anywhere.
2. Their messaging is now often personal rather than informational.
3. Each message has a greater chance for viral spread.
4. Casual fans can maintain a casual link to more artists.
5. At the same time, uber-fans feel closer to their favorite musicians.