AM NEWS: UK Indie Fire Update, Deezer vs. Spotify, Sony Bags Qriocity, Smashing Record Club & More
The London Sony PIAS warehouse fire that destroyed the stock of 150+ indie labels was orchestrated by a gang of professional robbers using the riots as cover. (Telegraph)
- Sony is renaming its Qriocity entertainment service as the Sony Entertainment Network. Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity will just become Music Unlimited. Sony will also extend Music Unlimited to Walkman MP3/video players this month when 3 new models become available in U.S.
- French based music streamer Deezer will launch in the UK this month. This web based service will offer pricing very similar to Spotify and be chasing the same consumers. (Music Ally)
- Streaming Or Not, Apple’s iTunes Match Seems To Offer Advantages Of Both (paidContent)
- Topspin is powering the Smashing Pumpkins Record Club. Sign up is free and get special digital media throughout the year including bonus tracks, rare cuts, live recordings, demos and alternative mixes.
- Spotify opens an office in Finland (HS.fi)
- Everything Louder Than Everything Else - Dynamic Range Mastering In 2011 (The Quietus)
- Facebook has just added in-stream ads. (TNW)