AM NEWS: Facebook Music, Vimeo Adds Tunes, MusiXMatch, Grooveshark, Glam Buys Ning & More
A day before Facebook'S Music announcement, we share some impressive stats that point to just how big an impact the launch can have on music. (stats) And Facebook is making big money too. Worldwide ad revenues will double this year according to eMarkter to $3.8 billion including $2.01 billion from the U.S. Virtual goods on Facebook in the U.S are also expected to grow 32% to $1.65B in 2012. Hypebot will have special coverage of the Facebook Music announcement at 1PM ET/10AM PT Thursday.
- Vimeo Launches Audiosocket-Powered Music Store To Bring Tunes To Video (TechCrunch)
- musiXmatch, The IMDB For Song Lyrics, Comes To iTunes & Spotify; Passes 1M Mobile Downloads (TechCrunch)
- Remember Kazaa? They Just Built An iPhone App To Compete With Spotify (SAI)
- Rightsflow has appointed Fred Beteille as SVP of Operations and Technology.
- Grooveshark has new licensing deals with indie labels 101, Nacional. Paper Garden and SMC Entertainment. EMI and Merlin signed on previously, but so far the other majors have no approved deals.
- Three Musicians Awarded MacArthur 'Genius' Grants (The Record)
- Stitcher gets $10M to personalize Internet talk radio. (GigaOm)
- Online publisher and ad network Glam Media has bought social networking platform Ning, used by many musicians, in a deal reportedly valued at $150 million. The deal enables Glam to offer its publishers social tools, including chat and photo uploading areas for reader interaction.