AM NEWS: Facebook Music, Spotify: 2M Paid, Death Of The iPod, D2F Study, UMG + MediaCom & More
Today Facebook Music launches at F8. What I'm calling The Facebook Music Effect is already spawning dozens of announcements from companies like VEVO and Nimbit. Despite some signifigant leaks, there are sure to be plenty of surprises. Watch it live with us here at 10AM PT / 1PM ET today and share your reactions.
- Spotify has 2 million paying subscribers in eight countries in the US and Western Europe, CEO Daniel Ek shared in a CNBC interview with CEO Daniel Ek.
- The iPod Is About to Die =. (The Atlantic)
- The Real Cost of Direct to Fan – UK digital consultancy Good Lizard Media presents the first of a series of D2F-focused white papers. (Midem)
- Universal Music Group has selected MediaCom as its ad agency of record in the U.S. The music group buys $30 - $40 million in ads yearly. (AdAge)
- For the 5th year in a row, music publisher The Royalty Network is amongst Inc. Magazine's 500|5000 exclusive annual list of America's fastest-growing private companies.
- 7 new music games to get the party started. (Rolling Stone)
- YouTube has added hot new automated online video editing app Magisto to its free editing and animation offering.