After 7 Yr Decline Music Sales Up In 1st Half Of 2011
- Album sales (physical and digital) were up almost 1%
- Track Equivalent Albums were up 3.6% to 221.5 million units, from 213.6 million a year ago.
The album figures include compact discs and digital albums. Nielsen also counts 10 tracks sold individually as one album.
- The top-selling album was Adele's "21," with 2.5 million albums sold
- Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" was second with 1.5 million albums, thanks largely to the 99 cents promotion on Amazon
- Digital album sales are up 19%; and Digital tracks sales are up 11%.
- Overall music sales (albums, singles, music videos) are up 8.5%.
- Rap, Rock, Electronic, New Age, and Classical genres have all posted increases from 1% to 13%.